My New Web Page

My New Web Page
Just Click On the Image and Go Directly to My New WEB Page

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Part of Her Past!!!!

Since we first decided to adopt from China I have been hungry for books about what life was like in China. Understanding how the abandonment issue became such a huge problem was the first thing I needed to understand. But lately I've been reading books about what life was like for the women and children of pre-revolution and pre- cultural revolutions China.

The most recent book I have finished is called Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. This book is beautifully written. Two things this books touches on is the secret written female language of nu shui and foot binding.

When I reached the chapter called footbinding.. I was not looking forward to reading what was going to happen to this seven year old girl. It was hard to rap my mind around what took place many many years ago.. and all for a better marriage arrangement.. These little girls were not asked to do this... It was expected and to achieve a foot as small as 3 inches in length was considered a blessing to her and her family.

After I finished this book... I started to think... How could I judge what people did back then... All to ensure a better marriage or a better life for a family. Women doing things to there bodies just to attract a better husband. Unheard of Right!! Then I starting thinking although these little girls were not given a choose about there footbinding we are really not much better... With nose jobs.. boob jobs and many many other surgical enhancements that we can get now. There are some difference.. firstly the little girls in most cases considered it an honour to help out there family.. There tolerance and bravery while enduring such pain leaves me speechless. These young women were proud. Proud to be able to help there family better themselves.

I am so grateful that footbinding was outlaw in 1912.. but I think it's important that we don't forget about it... It's meaning back then was not something we can just simply understand as a foot fetish. In a time when women's worth was considered not much better then the dirt floor people walked on this tradition gave them something special.. something that was truly there's




This women is very proud of her tiny feet.


3 Don't Be Shy Leave Me A Comment:

Jake and Taryn said...

Looks like an amazing book! I love the story about the footbinding and all that it stands for. Amazing!

Tracey and Mike said...

I loved this book!
You should read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.

Steffie B. said...

It is unreal when you read and hear about it isn't it? But I do agree......we do still do things today as well. It's not for us to judge.