My New Web Page

My New Web Page
Just Click On the Image and Go Directly to My New WEB Page

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My First Mammogram


That's right my first Mammogram. Since turning 40 this January I now entered a whole new era of testing... Checking your weight (which is up!!!) blood pressure and the usual blood tests just won't cut it anymore. It was now my turn for the dreaded SQUEEZE!!!!


Wearing no deodorant and having no Caffeine for over 24 hours (This includes chocolate) I headed off for my appointment... I was trying to be positive thinking only that I would be away from the house for a few hours, some peace and quite, a chance to read some of my book.
When my technician finally came to get me.. I made sure to advise her this was my FIRST Mammogram. Welcome to the sisterhood she said. I new right then and there I was going to like this women and letting her push and pull at my bosoms was going to be O.K.
Apparently my bosoms were not all that photogenic because after the first four were taken I was told to have a seat and wait to ensure they were O.K. She came back to inform me that a few retakes were needed... so back to the pulling and squeezing I went.
I have a few suggestion that would make it less uncomfortable for the women... Firstly some calming music in the room and a little more heat would help. How about a satin top instead of one of those ruff paper ones. And lastly I think our husband should be there... I truly felt I needed something to squeeze while my you know what's were being squeezed... I was thinking my breast are very sensitive... hmmm what on the male anatomy is just as sensitive more so if you were to squeeze them as tightly as my breast were being squeezed... BINGO " The family Jews " "The Boys" there are many names for them. Yes I felt this would have eased some of the discomfort. In the end it really wasn't that bad and well worth it when you think of what having the test can prevent.

I didn't stop with a Mammogram I also had a pelvic ultrasound. Which brings me to this question. Why do doctors challenge you when you want a test that they don't recommend you get??? lately I am hearing that we need to be more proactive about hour health. We are told to question our Doctors demand tests etc., etc., Do these Doctors not read and watch these shows that tell us to do these things? When I asked my Doctor for this ultrasound to check for ovarian cancer her first question was " Why... do you have any symptoms" does she not realize that by the time you get the symptoms it's progressed to the later stages"
Her next questions was "has anyone in your family had ovarian cancer???" Does she not read that only about 5% of people who get this cancer had it in there family!!! Just give me the dam test I finally told her!!!

So ladies get your Mammograms... get your Pelvic Ultrasounds and get a CA-125 test.

On a different note, just look at this woman. I can't believe Madonna will be 50 this August. I wish I had half the discipline she has. I have had the privilege to see one of her concerts many... many years ago.. She truly is an inspiration whether you like her or hate her she's has matured over the years and is now trying to make some sort of a difference in the world.

http://www.raisingmalawi.org

6 Don't Be Shy Leave Me A Comment:

C's Mom said...

Just be sure to get out your wallet too. Very few insurance companies will pay for 'screening' pelvic ultrasounds and CA-125 testing.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, you are so right to be proactive about your health. Unfortunately, physicians are trained in a certain way to make diagnoses. Because ovarian cancer is "relatively rare" in our country -- 1 in 72 women in their lifetime -- it's rarely on their radar screen.

Regarding the CA-125 blood test: It never was meant to be a screening test for the general public, and it is horribly, horribly, unreliable as a screening tool for ovarian cancer. This blood test can be elevated by menstruation, pregnancy, and infection. It's no wonder doctors don't want to use it as a screening tool.

The CA-125 is meant for women like me, who have been treated for ovarian cancer, to test for recurrence, or to be used as one of several diagnostic tools in combination with a transvaginal ultrasound, bilateral pelvic exam, and CT scan for women who may have the cancer.

All of this should frighten the living daylights out of every woman in this country. ALL WOMEN deserve a reliable, safe, and inexpensive screening test for ovarian cancer, and we simply do not have one.

I was diagnosed at stage III during a hysterectomy for endometriosis 7 years ago. I as 45, healthy, and had 2 gyn checkups a year for 25 years.

I had a CA-125 6 months before my diagnosis and it was normal. I had a CT 5 months before diagnosis, and it was normal. I had a transvaginal ultrasound 2 months before diagnosis, and it was normal.

I had these tests because my mother had uterine and ovarian cancer. AND STILL, I was diagnosed at stage III, and BY ACCIDENT, during surgery for endometriosis.

Be vigilant for bloating that won't go away, urinary frequency that doesn't get better, and persistent lower back pain that doesn't get better. Unfortunately, by the time someone gets these symptoms, the cancer has advanced. Only 25 percent are diagnosed in the early, most curable stages.

Please visit www.ovariancancer.org for everything you ever wanted to know (or not) about ovarian cancer.

Stay healthy!
Annamarie

Steffie B. said...

I am behind of both exams....I really do need to get in.

I love Madonna... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,
I am so happy you did ask for a check up for ovarian cancer. No, there is no specific early detection check up but anything to look for it is better than nothing. We had no history in our family of it... and my mother was diagnosed with it in 1999 and then died 18 months later. We had no clue and neither did her doctors.. she was checked for so many other things.. and by the time they realized what is was, it was way to late.
Annamarie says it all.. all the symptoms are exactly what mom had. I do feel that while the ca-125 is not accurate... I have been getting it done as well as a thorough pelvic exam and transvaginal ultrasounds every year since mom's diagnosis.
So far so good... but like Annamarie you just never know - so all of us women need to pay attention to our symptoms.

Shirley said...

Great info...Hope all is doing well!! How's the pool coming???

RoLo said...

I have to have mammograms and I just wish that with all this medical science break throughs that they would find nicer friendlier more dignifying ways to do our yearly examinations and/or mammograms!!!

I LOVE Madonna for her music, her perserverance, her evolution, her business sense and her dedication