My New Web Page

My New Web Page
Just Click On the Image and Go Directly to My New WEB Page

Thursday, August 28, 2008

We All Need A Dream!!!!

For those of you who know our son... you are aware that he's not the most positive young man out there. I have never understood why he has such a low self esteem, and as his mother I am heartbroken when I hear him talk down about himself.

It's true that Ryker has been handed a road full of obstacles. Starting with the fact he was diagnosed with ADHD and Dyslexia. If you ask him what he doesn't like about himself the list is endless... usually starting with he's not tall enough and his ear are to big.. the list goes on and on. If you ask him what he thinks he does well.. he will most likely tell you not much and that so and so can do this better or so and so can do that better.

As his mom I can tell you that yes indeed he has ADHD and Dyslexia. I can also tell you that while Math, English and Social are not subjects that show off his strong points, he's an amazing artist... great at track and field, can be the best big brother and in the water he's like a fish. (Just ask his swimming teacher who feels he should compete)

Now you might be wondering why I am sharing all of this.

Let me explain. As all good mother's out there I have tried and tried to encourage Ryker to do his best at all things. I've always told him that each person has there own talents and right now it appears that academics is not his calling. He needs to focus on those things that he does do well. Swimming is one of those things. Of course the list of excuses come rolling out of his mouth. I can't because of this or someone will be better them me or faster etc., etc.,

Ryker did take some interest in watching the summer Olympics and he enjoyed the swimming very much, particularly all the hubbub with Michael Phelps. Ryker was truly impressed by his races. On one occasion David actually said to me "wouldn't it be great if someone like Michael Phelps had ADHD" just to prove to Ryker that anything is possible no mater the challenges we face.

Then two days ago I pick up my People Magazine and there's a story on Michael Phelps. The article was pretty standard... They talk about his gold medals,, his family and his future goals. There was one paragraph in particular that took my breath away, here is what I read:

It's not too hard to imagine Michael as a skinny young kid, full of fire but so lacking in focus his teachers called his mother with their concerns. "We went through several years when we were just trying to capture his energy", says Debbie, who learned Michael had ADHD for which he took Ritalin during school hours. His early coach remembers him as being a very mooding little guy. Phelps also says that kids made fun of his big ears as a young boy.

After I picked myself off the floor I read this to David and then to Ryker. I wanted him to know and hopefully understand that we all have brick walls to get over. Some people have bigger ones some people have more, but we all have obstacles in our way. I wanted Ryker to look at this swimmer and realize that he to can accomplish something just a wonderful in his life, he just has to start with a dream.

That's all I really want for my son.. I want him to start to dream about all his possibilities and embrace his strengths. You see I truly believe if he does that he will overcome his weaknesses.

JUST LIKE HE DID!!!!!!

5 Don't Be Shy Leave Me A Comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Wendy, what an inspirational post! What was Ryker's reaction when you told him? You are so good with words, I love the way you write.

Tracey and Mike said...

Great post Wendy! And, hey, we all loved Ryker when we met him (not that that would mean anything to a 13 year old boy! ha ha). We thought he was great with his sisters. Sweet young man!

OH MY #6 said...

Oh my goodness. This is an amazing story. He will find his nitch. Having a supportive family is half the battle.

have a lovely weekend.

Lea
xo

"T" said...

Yeah and Michael Don't look to shabby with those ears. All the girls seem to like them just fine.

RoLo said...

With caring parents like you he will find his place and he will grow to know he is special and loved. With more role models out there talking about their stories he will learn that there is a bright future out there especially for him.